What to do with
Where can I recycle? »
Selection of pieces of furnitureIf you’ve got an item of furniture that you don’t need anymore and it could be used by someone else, why not consider the following options...
Pass them on...
Charity and re-use organisations
- Some items of furniture can be donated to a charity shop, a furniture re-use organisation or local community project;
- Check to see if your council offers a collection service for re-use;
- Upholstered furniture such as sofas and mattresses need to have their fire safety label intact - otherwise charities and re-use organisations are unable to sell them on.
It’s always worth checking what type of furniture can be donated, different charity and re-use organisations often collect slightly different items.
- Pass on items for free at places such as Freecycle and Freegle;
- Or sell them on websites like eBay, Gumtree and Preloved.
Friends, family and local events
- Ask family and friends - often they can use the things we don’t want anymore;
- Sell smaller items locally at car boots, nearly new and bring and buy sales (Car Boot Junction lists UK car boot sales);
- Put an ad in the local newspaper or shop window;
- Look out for local swapping events - you might even bag yourself a bargain in return!
Give repairing a go...
If you have items which are broken and need a lick of paint or a simple repair to get them back into shape, why not have a go? With a bit of practice and TLC your old furniture could take on a whole new lease of life! If you are unsure, ask family or friends for help.
Alternatively, check online for local repair services or look in telephone directories.