What to do with
ASH (COAL AND WOOD)
Where can I recycle? »
Wood ash is recyclable with your garden waste but coal ash should be put in your general waste bin.
Wood ash can be:
- Put it in your household garden waste collections (if this service is offered in your area);
- Taken to the recycling centre and recycled with garden waste;
- Added to your home composting bin;
- Used as a soil fertiliser.
Ash from coal or anthracite:
- Put in your general waste bin since it has little or no nutritional benefit and is potentially harmful to soil, plants and consumers of edible produce.
Note: Always let the ash cool down before placing in any bin.
You can find more information on using wood ash in your garden from The Royal Horticultural Society.